Berkeley Co. school district outlines disciplinary action for non-masked students on bus
BERKELEY COUNTY, SC (WCSC) – Berkeley County School District officials have released an overview of disciplinary measures for students who do not wear face masks on school buses.
The following measures will come into effect on Monday, September 20.
- First offense: warning from the student and note provided to the parent
- Second offense: contact with parents and one day of suspension of the bus
- Third offense: contact with parents and two days of suspension of the bus
- Fourth offense: contact with parents and three days of suspension from the bus
- Fifth offense: contact with parents and five days of suspension from the bus
- Sixth offense: contact with parents and loss of bus privileges
The district cited an Aug. 27 memorandum from the South Carolina Department of Education that said it would re-enforce the CDC’s order requiring the use of face coverings by students and staff on buses. state owned and operated schools.
As part of that memorandum, the SCDE stated that all school districts must be in compliance by August 30, 2021.
BCSD officials also highlighted the following SCDE information:
“School districts must implement disciplinary measures designed to enforce this requirement, including, but not limited to, suspending a student from driving a bus. However, no student should be placed in a dangerous situation after attempting to board a bus without a mask. “
“We gave our students and their families a few weeks to get used to the school bus mask mandate,” said BCSD Superintendent Deon Jackson. “The South Carolina Department of Education has equipped our buses with an adequate supply of face covers that will be provided to any student in need of a mask. As our school buses are owned, funded and maintained by the state Department of Education, students and staff using these buses for transportation to and from school must comply with the requirements of the CDC ordinance and from the South Carolina Department of Education.
Copyright 2021 WCSC. All rights reserved.