Locked-down Chinese town deported ‘1,000 people’, transported to quarantine facility

A locked down city in China evicted 1,000 people from their homes at midnight and took them to dark quarantine facilities, according to local reports.

The 13 million residents of Xian have been confined to their homes since December 23 and are prohibited from leaving even for food and essential supplies, having to rely on local authorities to drop off care packages.

The popular tourist center, famous for its terracotta warriors, has reported 1,600 cases since December 9 – and while that may seem like a small number, Beijing is desperate to eradicate the virus ahead of next month’s Winter Olympics .

But its aggressive “zero Covid” strategy is being tested to its limits by the new epicenter of Xian.

In the latest shocking measure, 30 buses showed up in Mingde 8 Yingli district just after midnight on January 1 and ordered all residents to leave and self-quarantine.

Health officials in full PPE stand beside police buses and cars in photos uploaded to Chinese social media site Weibo in Xian

Bus line surrounds block during quarantine in Xian

Residents are escorted from their homes with luggage prepared for their quarantine

A bus line surrounds the block during quarantine in Xian, left; and residents are escorted from their homes with luggage prepared for their quarantine, right

China has seen a recent spike in infections, the majority coming from the city of Xian, but official figures remain very low

China has seen a recent spike in infections, the majority coming from the city of Xian, but official figures remain very low

Xian, a city of 13 million people, is a tourist hotspot famous for its terracotta warriors.  It is a two hour flight from Beijing which hosts the Winter Olympics in February

Xian, a city of 13 million people, is a tourist hotspot famous for its terracotta warriors. It is a two hour flight from Beijing which hosts the Winter Olympics in February

Images uploaded to Chinese social media site Weibo showed health officials in full PPE standing next to a bus convoy flanked by police cars.

One user claimed that up to 1,000 people had been transported, while another said 30 buses were spotted around their block.

Other images posted online purported to show the austere living quarters inside the quarantine facilities, with cheap bunk beds and tiny desks.

Others said the rooms were cold and officials failed to make arrangements to house children and the elderly.

“There’s nothing here, just basic necessities… Nobody came to watch us, what kind of quarantine is it?” They made a big transfer of us, over a thousand people, overnight and many of us are old people and children. They didn’t make any proper arrangements so they just placed us carelessly [here], ‘read a comment posted by a resident concerned.

This is just the latest incident in the locked city to ignite fury online amid claims residents have been left to starve locked in their homes because authorities have failed to deliver them health. food.

Officials admitted at a press conference last week that “low staff attendance and difficulties with logistics and distribution” had made it difficult to deliver essential supplies to the population.

“I’m about to starve,” one person wrote on Weibo last week. “There is no food, my accommodation won’t let me go out and I’m about to run out of instant noodles… help me!” ”

“I don’t want to hear how everything is going anymore,” said another. “What if the supplies are so plentiful – they’re useless if you don’t actually give them to people.”

Images posted online purported to show the austere living quarters inside the quarantine facilities, complete with cheap bunk beds

Quarantine bunk beds in Xian

Images posted online purported to show the austere living quarters inside the quarantine facilities, complete with cheap bunk beds

A bunk bed in the quarantine center

A desk with a metal stool in the establishment

The grim furnishings of the quarantine facilities in Xian

Xian official Chen Jianfeng told reporters that the local government has mobilized companies to step up community distribution, with executives overseeing wholesale markets and supermarkets.

“We are doing our best to resolve the issue of staff participation and issuing vehicle passes that ensure the supply of basic necessities,” he said.

Xian reported 90 new local cases of the virus on Monday, up from 122 the day before.

“We have entered a general state of attack,” provincial official Liu Guozhong said according to an official notice, adding that it was necessary to achieve the goal of ridding society of coronavirus cases as soon as possible. .

Medical worker tests Xian resident on Sunday

Medical worker tests Xian resident on Sunday

Two workers cross the roads in the deserted city of Xian on December 31

Two workers cross the roads in the deserted city of Xian on December 31

A truck sprays disinfectant on a street in Xi'an, north China's Shaanxi Province, on December 31

A truck sprays disinfectant on a street in Xi’an, north China’s Shaanxi Province, on December 31

On Sunday, Xian announced that two senior Communist Party officials from Yanta district had been removed from their posts, according to local media, in an attempt to “strengthen epidemic prevention and control work” in the region.

Last month, the Chinese disciplinary body announced that dozens of officials have been punished for “insufficient rigor in the prevention and control of the epidemic.”

China has reported a total of 161 cases, the majority in Shaanxi province, of which Xian is the capital.

There were no new deaths, leaving the death toll unchanged at 4,636.


Source link

Comments are closed.