Masking protocol still in effect despite recent cancellation by the Ministry of Health
ANN ARBOUR, Mich. – Emergency orders at educational facilities by the Washtenaw County Health Department will be suspended later this month, but students attending Ann Arbor Public Schools will continue to wear masks for the time being .
Last week, the Department of Health joined several others across Michigan in announcing that orders for K-12 schools, such as masking, quarantine and isolation, would end on Monday, February 28. .
Read: Washtenaw County lifts COVID orders from schools in late February
A Friday email from AAPS Superintendent Jeanice K. Swift said universal masking and other safety protocols remain in place until further notice.
“We will continue to make the health and safety of our students and staff our top priority. We have a responsibility to support our students with healthy learning environments at school every day and will take any proposal to remove a critical layer of COVID mitigation and protection for our students, staff and our families,” Swift said in her email.
“AAPS will maintain all existing health and safety protocols, including universal masking, for AAPS schools, programs and offices until further notice.”
The Washtenaw County Health Department will update school guidelines on Wednesday, February 23. AAPS will analyze the impact of the new guidelines on district COVID protocols and update families, the email said.
Swift’s email noted that masks are still recommended by the WCHD, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, and the CDC for school-aged children two and older and school personnel when are in indoor public places, regardless of their vaccination status.
Federal orders mandate masking on public transportation, including school buses.
Copyright 2022 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All Rights Reserved.